Reporting to the Director of Product Management, Baths & Showers, the Industrial Designer role is based in the MAAX corporate headquarters in Montreal.
The Industrial Designer will be a key part of the Baths & Showers product development team and will be responsible for developing innovative, aesthetic, and ergonomic designs, as well as performance criteria for new products within the limits of technical and financial feasibility to answer market requirements and needs. In short, the objective is to create new products that will meet and/or exceed market expectations in both the United States and Canada.
Therefore, the ideal candidate will be able to motivate and stimulate project teams by demonstrating leadership, managerial skills, knowledge, and enthusiasm. The position involves regular communication and giving presentations to large audiences, including company management. Potential interactions with suppliers and strong communication skills are also required.
The Industrial Designer will touch multiple product categories, including, but not limited to the following: Bathtubs, Showers, Shower Bases, Tub Showers and Special Needs.
- Depending on the initiative, develop new products targeting the Wholesale and Retail channels in both the United States and Canada, according to marketing strategies and parameters while respecting and maintaining the product DNA for the targeted brand.
- Develop a strong understanding of the customer needs in our markets and contribute in developing the solutions for these needs. i.e.: availability to participate in Voice of Customer research, attend trade shows, etc.
- Develop graphic representation in both two and three dimensional sketches, drawings, renderings and presentations.
- Develop design data including CAD models and photo-realistic renderings
- Develop a strong working relationship with the existing Product Development and specifically the existing Industrial Design team based in Canada.
- Support managers to establish strategies, improvement plans and budgets. Be part of the new product road map discussions.
- Support the implementation of new tools and techniques in order to foster product innovations. Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Comfortable working in undefined situations
- Ability to get hands-on and work with manufacturing labors, talk with suppliers and participate in market validations.
- Ability to communicate with all levels in the company in open, transparent dialogue
- 5-10 years’ experience in an Industrial / Product Design role
- Exposure to direct contacts with customers and end users
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design
- Solid 3D and surface modeling abilities in Solid Works.
- Exceptional sketching abilities (on electronic tablet is a definite plus)
- Highly innovative and creative
- Ability to find solution for the masses
- Worked with stage gate process in product development
- Team player
- Good communication skills (presentation and technical writing skills, etc.)
- Exposure to Design for Manufacturability & FMEA risk management methods
- Availability for travel as needed; estimated 10% of time
- Fluent in both English and French
- Composite manufacturing and open molds manufacturing experience would be a definite asset
Want to join our team? If you think you have what it takes to be our next Production Planner, apply today!